Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Maze In My Dreams


 "All the world 's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts"  
As You Like It
The Curse
 
Last night Morpheus took me by the hand and whispered something in my ear; but before I knew what he meant I was already in his reign.
Not long ago there was a witch, an old witch who wanted to sell me something.
I had hoped it was apples what she had in her basket, but those were too tiny and shiny to be apples.
She had beads; black pearls and aquamarines.
"Which will you buy?" she asked. "You've been here before and I know your answer".
No I wasn't and I didn't know any answer!She was trying to cheat on me, I thought.
"I can leave the basket, so you can make up your mind. But remember: you can't take anything out, as long as you haven't decide. Anyway I know your answer".
Then she disappeared and left me wondering.
I wondered and I wander in that place, looking for the witch. 
"What would you suggest is my color?" I wanted to ask.
Not finding my way out, I started looking for Morpheus and yelled at him "Take me back, that's not the place I wanted to be; that's not the place you promised me, you son of a witch!!!"
Nightmares (Phobetor's Version)

I saw Morpheus running toward me through the woods, his lips were bleeding and he had honeysuckle garlands on his head and forearms, I threw an angry and almost sad look at him.
“Would you take me back, please?”.
He nodded. Still, he asked whether I didn’t want to wander to the borders of his reign.
“Maybe another time, now it’s late, I really need to go and you need to take care of your lips”, I added as if it mattered, at that point.
“What should I do with the beads, though?”.
Giving me half a look, which meant “If you don’t do it, I’ll do it!”, he grabbed the basket and  threw it into the grass...and as I was about to look  back, sorry for the lost beauty, he shouted: “Never look back. You'll have a seven years curse!”
“What?”
“The witch didn’t leave the basket to give you more time...it is a curse”.
“But WHY?”. My eyes were open and stunned like a crack in the sky and my jaw too had dropped open in disbelief.
“Did it ever occur to you that anything happening here is pure nonsense?”.
Paradoxically this was the only thing that made sense.
Laying the honeysuckle garlands on my head he suggested “This is the only thing you need”.
Was that nonsense as well?
“Do not, under any circumstances, look back”.
I was about to faint,  breathing in the smell of honeysuckle, but he pulled my arm so hard and we started running again.
I got bruises on my knees but I was glad I was leaving. No more silly decisions. No silly witch around.
Waking up this morning I noticed  blood on my knuckles and a little chain of black pearls, too. And the words of Morpheus still ringing in my ears: “I know your answer”.
Psst Morpheus smart-pants, don't tell anybody you know better than the witch!!!
...We are such stuff As dreams are made on
and our little life is rounded with a sleep
Prospero in The Tempest
                                                                             






A Forest of Symbols

A Maze in my Dreams II
He Said She Said