Thursday, February 10, 2011

Of Boxes, Beaches, Bambini and Berlin's Dog Doo

         

Bambini di maaammmmaaaa!

Reading my last post, you might have been wondering what was in my coffee that morning (btw, I believe I have an hypersensitivity to caffeine, and that is the reason why the coffee I brew is stomach-friendly!).
Point is, it has being very hard lately to find time, joy and room to write: we have one table in the kitchen but...that is not exactly one cozy and relaxed place.


When we moved to Long Island in 2009, we took with us some furniture and  then left it there, so now we need bookshelves, a table and some more chairs...
Which is in not so wild, but it obviously involves some organization.

Settling down takes longer than taking a plane back and having your own stuff, calling a couple of friends or going to your favorite bakery: we are at home, but sometimes I feel like I could just take the car (and we don't have a car here) and drive to the East End


 Orient Beach, Orient Long Island NY

Or take a stroll to the beach (let's don't talk about the beaches in Berlin, pleeeaaase).


Schlachtensee, in winter - well, believe it or not, this lake is very popular also in summer...and that would be one of the beaches.


Maybe I am not good at all in settling down: The boxes with books, clothes and toys arrived last week and I don't know if I have to be happy or if they just brought with them too many memories.
Some places just stay in you more than you had planned.
They say "home is where your heart is"...let's put it that way: the stethoscope hasn't found my heart beats yet.

To top this all, the situation with our daughter's school - more promising since this afternoon - is not at all clear: will she  attend the bilingual German-Italian school?Will she pass the German+ test?And if she does, will she automatically be admitted?
Or will she just attend a regular German school (plus point is that this is around the corner) and forget her Italian?

When you are split between different places, it is very hard to find a thread that keeps all together; I'd like to find it, I can't just "choose one", because one is not enough. Of course I try not to pour my own frustration into my innocent kids - well, not so innocent - still...

Some days I think I can make it, some other days all I think is:

That's one thing I find very annoying: dog doo.Everywhere.Not only in Berlin...